Update: Another reason that it’s so incredibly horrible: The vast majority of the Exxon Valdez cleaners are now dead, with an average life expectancy of 51 years. (Thanks to Wade for the reminder)
My wife Jililan explains why the BP oil spill is worse than we think:
1. THEY KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.
2. THEY ARE NOT “ONE BAD APPLE”
3. WE WILL CONTINUE TO HEAR EMPTY PROMISES OF GREENING UP OUR ENERGY PROBLEMS, AND YET WASHINGTON WILL CONTINUE TO DO NOTHING.
4. BOYCOTTING ONE GAS COMPANY DOESN’T DO A THING.
5. EVEN IF WE DRIVE LESS, OUR LIVES ARE INEXTRICABLY LINKED TO PETROLEUM.
6. BP IS DUMPING MORE TOXIC WASTE INTO THE GULF AS PART OF THEIR “CLEANUP”
7. THE GOVERNMENT HAS DONE EVERYTHING IT CAN TO MAKE SURE BP COMES OUT ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS.
8. SO… HOW MUCH OIL IS REALLY GUSHING INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO?
Each point is expanded upon, with references.
Prime Surrealestate: The BP Spill and Why It’s Worse Than We All Think
See also: Some Oil Spill Related Articles Worth Your Attention
July 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm
Regarding that BP is not the one “bad apple”: we’re crapping our pants over here about “our” spill, while disasters like this happen regularly in the Niger Delta and nobody bats an eye.
Nevermind the regular killing of environmental activists there.
July 11, 2010 at 9:56 pm
I mention that in post linked above: http://technoccult.net/archives/2010/06/08/some-oil-spill-related-articles-worth-your-attention/
July 13, 2010 at 5:09 am
Indeed. Don’t know how I missed those before.