Open Sailing is… well, just look at a list of their projects and check out their site:
– Instinctive_Architecture : an architecture that behaves like a super-organism, reacting to the weather conditions and other variables, reconfiguring itself.
– Energy_Animal : an independent module that generates energy from the waves, wind and sun, providing continuously off-grid energy and being a node for environment and data mesh networking.
– Nomadic_Ecosystem : engineering a mobile aquaculture to sustain human long term life at sea.
– Openet.org : forum to formulate a global standard for a purely civilian internet, an internet moderated by its users, not by the governments nor the industries nor the militaries.
– Life_Cable : a simpler unified standard for energy, water, waste, information in a complex built structure.
– Swarm_Operating_System : a customizable decision assisting software, using real-time data about global threats or personal interests.
– Ocean_Cookbook : making the experience at sea not of a survival quality but a truly yummy experience.
– Open_Politics : think tank about a possible internal organization for a new oceanic urban structure.
February 19, 2010 at 5:24 am
Megastructures always of interest. Some others… Gillette: Metropolis (1894). Archigram: various (1964). Fuller: Cloud Nine (1960), Triton City (1967). Solari: Arcosanti (1970). Various via Judge Dredd: Megacity 1 and Megacity 2 (1977).