1) Show Hearst the door
2) Assemble a local ownership group
3) Kill the print edition
4) Bring in a top technologist
5) Bring in a top Internet executive
6) Supplement salaried reporters with paid community bloggers
7) Automate the advertising process
8) Keep the globe
9) Resurrect the print edition
10) Act quickly
Sounds good, but as previously noted there’s some serious caveats. Maybe switching to a weekly paper to start with (a la the Portland Tribune) rather than killing it off and then resurrecting it would be a better approach.
But having smart tech and ‘net folks running the show is key, as is automated contextual advertising.
Here’s another idea: sell an archive of Nirvana coverage through Lulu.